Around 1100 the first castle of the Lords of Hornberg was built on the lower castle rock near Althornberg. 100 years later, after the division of the lords of Hornberg, the lords of Hornberg moved their seat to the local castle hill and founded the small town of Hornberg at the foot of the new castle, which was walled in until the middle of the 19th century.
The Schlossberg subsequently experienced a very eventful history. Between 1641 and 1689 the castle was burned down by the Swedes and several times by the French. In 1801 the entire castle complex became Baden property, in 1810 the whole of Hornberg and its districts became Baden.
Today the 30 m high castle tower, the powder tower, the viewing roundel and the “New Castle” (today Hotel Schloss Hornberg), which was built at the end of the 19th century, are still preserved and offer a wonderful view of the Gutach valley.
Address : On the castle hill 1, 78132 Hornberg